Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter brunch needs a casserole

Easter brunch at home

Sheltering at home has really put a damper on Easter get togethers with family. Our family has not got together since March 1st, so just a little over 5 weeks! However, we are blessed to know that everyone is healthy and doing well in spite of this coronavirus pandemic we are weathering. We found a way to see our grandkids yesterday by making a caravan trek out to see the wildflowers and had a well-spaced picnic in the meadow. No hugs, but plenty of smiles. Plus, I got to deliver their Easter baskets to them. 

This morning my husband and I enjoyed a delicious cheesy ham and asparagus quiche baked in a cast iron skillet in the oven. I didn’t use a crust because I'm trying to cut out as much carbs as possible these days. The heat from the cast iron skillet made a kind of “magic” crust around the edge of the quiche as it baked! I used the standard quiche-type recipe using 6 eggs and a cup of milk and two tablespoons of flour. I season the eggs with my chicken fixins seasoning blend, which is kind of all-purpose spice that includes herbs and added some cumin and paprika for a warm kick of flavor. I sauteed a mixture of onion, garlic, and asparagus in the skillet until the asparagus was softened, and topped it with some chopped deli ham and sliced green onions, then added a layer of shredded cheddar cheese and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. I poured the egg mixture over the meat, cheese and vegetables, and sprinkled on three chopped up slices of bacon and some chopped roasted red pepper for color. 

My daughters are sending me pictures of the kids opening their Easter baskets and playing with the little toys they found inside. Then we're going to have a zoom video chat at 11: 00. 
Afterward, I think I'll coerce my husband into going for a nice walk in the sunshine before we come home and make a ham dinner. My plan is to have a ham steak topped with a pineapple chutney paired with a spring salad topped with balsamic-infused strawberries and feta cheese with a honey-sweetened lemon viniagrete.
I included some links for a basic quiche and the strawberry salad. 

https://pin.it/2C60LmH
https://pin.it/3yjHbMg

Happy Easter, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment