Saturday, August 29, 2020

Perfect PB&J


There's nothing better than a perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Creamy peanut butter, lots of sweet, lumpy jam, smeared with a butter base, and the perfect bread. 
My favorite bread is Von's Signature Select Nuts and Grains. It's soft and chewy with crunchy nuts holds up well to the peanut butter and jelly filling. My husband prefers a white bread, either potato bread or buttermilk bread. 

Our preferred peanut butter is Skippy brand and our preferred jam is anything homemade! Since we live a couple blocks from a wonderful strawberry farm, I get fresh strawberries there every year and make a few cases of jam. I love a good fruity, strawberry jam, and I have been experimenting by flavoring my homemade jam with cinnamon or lemon, and most recently, jalapeno. But we recently became taste testers for a friend's homemade jammin' business, so right now we have about 12 different flavors of her wonderful jams in the fridge. I felt obligated to have jam and toast or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich almost everyday. 

Building the sandwich takes a special technique. You have to start with softened butter that you spread on the jam side of the bread. 
Then you put a couple of generous tablespoons of jam on top of the butter. You spread the creamy peanut butter on the other slice of bread, not too thick. Then you put the slices together with all that yummy filling trapped inside the bread. If you're a kid, I'll usually cut it into quarters for you. If you're my husband, I'll cut it in half, but I like mine whole. I like to start at the corners and work my way into the middle of the goodness. You have to chew each bite slowly and savor the perfect combination of flavors. 

Yup, nuthin' better!

No comments:

Post a Comment